Friday 21 March 2014

Birthday Cheer!

I forgot to write in my last blog about my birthday, so I thought I would write a brief sum up.
Last Wednesday I turned 27, and got a special birthday treatment.
The day started with Agnes coming over for breakfast. After she finished teaching, I noticed she was running in and out of my bedroom a lot, I suspected she was up to something.
When I tried to go downstairs she wouldn't let me and told me to wait.
So around lunch time I was told to empty my pockets and come downstairs. I crept down the stairs suspiciously and looked into the living room.
No one was there.
I then walked outside to a burst of "Happy Birthday" from the tailoring class, plus Farouk and Agnes. They then sang happy birthday to me while holding signs for me.
While they were doing this I noticed one of the girls was shaking up a bottle of coke rather violently.
I started getting worried.
Once they finished singing happy birthday they all yelled "Baby shower!" and next thing I know the bottle of coke was opened up and poured all over me.
Farouk, rather excitedly, also poured a bucket of water over me. After this strange violation I was told to sit down and cut a muffin with one of the girls. Then I was force fed the muffin.
I'm not quite sure if this is a normal thing, and whether I should laugh or cry, but the girls seemed to be having fun.
Afterwards they all gave me small gifts, like pk chewing gum, or lollipops, or an avocado, and they also gave me hand written letters of love and appreciation for my birthday.
It was all very sweet.
Agnes then cooked me a yummy healthy meal, since I have been eating really badly lately.
That night Agnes and I also went out to a pork joint. Basically a little shady bar with people boozing, where you buy a plate of the most delicious pork and share between the two of you.
All in all it was a typical African birthday .. full of surprises.







 





No comments:

Post a Comment