Thursday 24 April 2014

Marriage preparations and Easter celebrations.

Our marriage preparations are truly on the way!

Its been great having my friends wanting to chip in and help in all the running around and shopping required. Wilson, a friend of mine, helped drive Agnes and I around yesterday to do the shopping for the food that will be used in the introduction ceremony.
It is only a few weeks to go now, and I think a few of my friends were realizing I was doing a lot of these tasks by my own, and so they insisted they needed to help me.
And now that they have been helping, I am so glad I have them! I actually realize now that I couldn't do lots of this stuff without them.
Aggie and I have spent a lot of the last few weeks in town, preparing for everything, paying deposits on things and doing lots of shopping.
We really want to get most things done and out of the way for when my family comes in less then two weeks, so we can spend quality time with them without being too stressed.

We do get to spend a few times here and there having a nice lunch out eating pork! (And making ninja masks using straw wrappers)



With only a few weeks to go I have been reflecting/reading/studying on marriage. Agnes and I really are excited! We can't wait to start a life together.
I was thinking about if I had any fears or doubts about entering into a life long covenant. I have to say I am fully ready to embrace all of it! And can't wait. I think I have a realistic view of marriage from all the input I have had from people/books over the months, but I also have a firm believe in placing trust in God to carry us through.

The only fear that I seem to have, is a rather new emotion.  I realize now I have this great treasure and gift, and this new treasure I have comes with the realization that it can be lost in the reality of a world with death.
That may sound a bit grim .. but it is a genuine new emotion of fear that I have entering into this marriage.
I guess it may be the same feeling that a parent could have the first time they have a child.

When you are given a gift so great, the thought of it ever being lost can be scary.

But the reality in my life that the greatest treasure of Jesus can never be lost, and is eternally secure, is the hope and joy that carries you through the fears of life.

I once heard a quote that said "In the end everything will be alright, and if it is not alright, then it is not the end"

How true that rings when faith is put in the Creator! So Aggie and I enter into this marriage with all its hopes, expectations, anticipations and concerns with a trust and hope that is held together by God.

Last Sunday I had the lovely privilege of joining in the the village of hope for their Easter lunch.
We had an amazing meal of chicken, beef, chapatis, potatoes, matoke, rice and pineapples. I watched as formerly destitute and broken children danced, laughed, ate and played.
Sometimes when you are exposed constantly to life over here, some of the miracles and beautiful changed lives can become the norm, and not effect you as they did when you first came.
How strange that the heart can become dull and numb sometimes. And its never something that you realize has just happened one day, it creeps up on you slowly.
But how beautiful when God allows you a little insight and reflection on the reality of a broken life being made whole, and His beauty and light pierces your heart.
As I looked around at the many little lives in the process of being made whole, I had to give thanks to God. These are just a few lives that would not be where they are today if it wasn't for Christ like love. What a God we have who holds a special place in His heart for the destitute, broken, poor and oppressed and then chooses to use His children to show and spread that love.

What a special way to spend Easter.

God bless


1 comment:

  1. I love the two-fold ways God works and that in the end, it is so not about us. I really do believe the saying that we are 'blessed to be a blessing'. God blesses us in the most incredible ways - and so in the first instance, we just enjoy the free gifts from our loving Father. But it is never just for us - the blessings that flow to us are to flow on to bring His Kingdom to a broken world - and when that happens, we find we are doubly blessed to be a part of what God is doing.

    I believe the same applies to marriage - it is an incredible gift of God and brings so much joy into your life. But it is more than just two people - God brings people together in marriage for great plan and purpose, and where we are willing and obedient, uses these partnerships to expand His Kingdom as we seek and serve God together.

    Praying the next few weeks are just the best and you can have that sense of God doing something big in bringing you guys together!!

    Lots of love to you both :-)

    ReplyDelete