Monday 5 August 2013

Welcome to my Uganda blog!
I created this blog so friends, family and people interested, can find out about my adventures, challenges, hopes and experiences while I am living in Uganda.
In 3 weeks time I will be leaving on a jet plane to go start a new chapter of life in a small rural village in Uganda, the "pearl of Africa".
The last 2 years have been an experience of growth and preparation for this big adventure, as I have gone about completing a Diploma in Youth work, as well as going through a great amount of fruitful discipleship.
Most of you who know me, know that I have spent a fair amount of time in Uganda, and I have a passion for the youth over there in particular.
Inspired and driven by my faith, and the teachings of Jesus in regards to the poor and oppressed, I will be living in Uganda to begin developing and implementing a youth targeted project called "Youth Support Uganda".
So many young people in Uganda, and in the village community of Wairaka where I will be living, face daily challenges and social issues. Young people in Uganda are surrounded by a world of poverty, broken homes, drug and alcohol abuse, violence, sexual abuse and more.
I plan to use the arts as a way to engage young people to tackle some of these issues, as well as creating a platform for education, financial stability and social change in their lives.
Down the line I hope to see a youth center built in the community where all these programs can run out of.
Its a big step of faith, as its a large endeavour to set out on and I am positive there will be many challenges ahead of me. I also know this is not something I am doing on my own accord, with a host of youth workers, teachers and friends in Uganda joining in on the vision, as well as a community of people supporting me from Australia ( Thanks one hope community church, friends and family ). I also believe this is a project and mission that God is forming and creating, and ultimately it is His vision, His work, and His love for the poor which is driving this.
So with all nerves, excitement and feelings of being incredibly blessed, I will be preparing for 3 weeks time when I head off.
Over the next few months separate information sources ( facebook, newsletters etc ) will be up and running to let people know how things are going with the projects of Youth Support Uganda. But keep an eye on this blog if you are interested on hearing how things are going for me over in Uganda on a personal level.
God bless

Luke

5 comments:

  1. Great first post Luke.... :)
    Who said you needed practice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwwesome! Look forward to the updates brother! Continue in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm bookmarking this Luke!
    Let me know your travel arrangements and I will come and pick you up from the airport if you like - I have a couple of young guys from the village desperate to see the planes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great! I'll get back to you on flight details! I would love to see the look on a few of the boys faces when they watch a big jet plane take off!

      Delete
  4. Hey Luke, great stuff! Look forward to reading about all your adventures! :)

    ReplyDelete